Friday, March 9, 2007

Less to throw away, with pictures!

Since deciding to embark on this project and after reading Elizabeth Royte's fantastic book Garbageland, I have been looking for ways to change my life in terms of what I throw away. I think I have stumbled upon two relatively simple ways that I can succeed, and they are things that everyone can do. Firstly whilst depositing a check at the bank today, I noticed that I was the only person who did not request a receipt after my transaction. I never do, mainly just because I don't want a paper record of what I am doing at the bank. Someone might find it in the garbage, steal my identity and start spending all of my money. Don't worry, it wouldn't go far. Then I realized I can kill two birds with one stone here: if I don't ask for a receipt, it is less to throw away. Imagine if everyone you knew didn't take a receipt from the ATM. I have no idea how to calculate that, except to ask everyone at the bank to put their receipt in a bag and weigh it (is that creepy?), but it seems like it can cut down on an awful lot of trash.

I also decided to start paying my bills online. At first this seemed like a shady idea, what with all of the hackers and online terrorists out there looking for my bank information. However I found an option that not only allows me to not write checks (which will eventually be thrown away), but it also stops sending the bills to my house, which I always throw away, or keep for some time then throw away. In the interest of the film, I guess I could keep going with the bills-in-the-mail to see how much I am reducing in a year, but I would rather feel like I am making a difference now.

Enough of that optimism. I would like to leave you with some disturbing pictures. These are images that I am sure Wes and I will revisit during the film, so you can get a preview of what we are after. This is a pile of garbage I saw while shooting in a building in Midtown Manhattan. This is the garbage accumulated in one week at one restaurant on a fairly quite midtown street. Look at what we are putting back into our Earth. Maybe you, like me, will never look at a restaurant the same way again.




(click for BIIIIIIIIIG)

3 comments:

Liz Tolan said...

Eventually you know we are going to make a MV with all this garbage footage. It's inevitable.

JErich-Oh's said...

Dudes, for the bank receipt thing, you should go to the bank with a small paper shredder, that way you can get a weight of the reciepts, as well as let people know that their informaiton is safe, even though there is no real way to steel identities off of a bank receipt anyway. Plus the paper shredder allows you to use the scrap paper to make recycled paper or something like that.

Unknown said...

As you (Aaron) know, I worked in restaurants all through college and it really is disgusting how much is thrown away every single day. You may wonder just what is filling those trash bags on the side of the road. Most of it is food. As a server I scraped many a perfectly good half eaten meal into the garbage. After all, portions in America are made for people who weigh 500 pounds or who over order food they dont eat/need just because they can or it comes with the daily special. Maybe we should conserve a little in that department too. Word.